THOMASELLI’S TOP FIVE
The collective musings, off-the-wall thoughts, and just generally eclectic thoughts that come out of Rich’s head every day.
THURSDAY, MAY 21
5) SWEDEN AND ICELAND. Yikes. That’s how far Marist College women’s basketball coach Brian Giorgis had to go to start rebuilding a depleted roster after the sudden, surprising transfer of four players who were set to return next year. When you’re going overseas to nab recruits in late May, it screams desperation. Not Giorgis’ fault, but that’s the kind of situation the Gang of Four left him in.
4) KINGSTON vs. ROOSEVELT SOFTBALL. Section Nine announced its baseball and softball seeds on Thursday, and that’s your top two seeds in Class AA. Lattin vs. Pritchard. Lee vs. Cooney. Pfitscher vs. McManus. Yep, that’s a can’t-miss, assuming both teams win their quarterfinal and semifinal games.
3) NFL. I don’t understand why they have to keep messing with the country’s most popular sport. Moving the PAT back, letting the defense run back blocks … pretty soon it will just be called ‘rugby.’
2) KETCHAM vs. ARLINGTON BASEBALL (again?) – Hey, they’re both on opposite sides of the sectional bracket so it’s possible they could meet in the finals, again. The way both teams are pitching lately, could be a 1-0 game.
1) DAD – Yesterday was a year that my father passed. When I was young, my father – always a voracious reader – used to come home from work every day and throw SEVEN newspapers on the kitchen table. “Here,” he would say. “Read. Consume.” And that, sports fans, is how I became a writer.