Hudson Valley Sports Report

BEACON BOYS FORFEIT GAMES

Bulldogs Used Ineligible Player Entire First Half Of Season, Go From 7-3 To 0-10; Football Also Forfeits

By Rich Thomaselli
HVSR Staff

The Beacon High School boys basketball team was forced to forfeit all seven of its victories so far this season after using an ineligible player, Hudson Valley Sports Report has learned.

“We have, unfortunately, had to forfeit all of our wins,” Bulldogs coach Scott Timpano said.

Timpano declined to say who the player was or for what reason he was ineligible, and referred calls to Beacon City School District Superintendent Ann Marie Quartironi. But the player also played football, and all victories on the gridiron this past fall are also forfeited.

Quartironi provided a statement to HVSR.

“The District confirms it has forfeited the outcomes of the 2016 football season, as well as for those boys basketball games for the 2016-2017 season played prior to January 4, 2017.  The District immediately self-reported the situation to Section 1 after learning of an error on its part regarding the athletic eligibility of a District student.  The student was in no way at fault for the error,” she said. “The District regrets the error, and is working actively with Section 1 to ensure that any similar incidents are prevented in the future.  The forfeitures are in no way a reflection of the hard work and sacrifices of the student-athletes in both the football and boys basketball programs.”

The shocking revelation puts Beacon in a big hole. The Bulldogs were 7-3 overall and coming off a championship run in the Dutchess County Basketball Coaches Association Duane Davis Memorial Tournament. Now Spackenkill is the champion after earning the turnaround via the forfeit.

In addition to Spackenkill, the following schools that lost to Beacon now all earn victories – John Jay-East Fishkill, Roosevelt, Valley Central, North Rockland, Ramapo and Peekskill.

Beacon athletic director Marty Nemecek sent the following email to those seven schools this afternoon:

Good Afternoon,
It is with a sincere apology that I must inform you that the Beacon Boys Varsity Basketball team must “Forfeit” the wins against your teams that were already played due to an ineligible player.
The victories will be changed to show a 2-0 win in your favor.
Good luck for the remainder of your season.
Marty

“We are still looking to be competitive and try to earn back a sectional bid,” Timpano said. “We are extremely disappointed but we’ll go out and work hard and compete the rest of the season.”

The coach reiterated that it was no fault of the player.

“Usually the first thing people want do is make assumptions and you want to blame a kid,” he said. “I can tell you that all of our kids have been doing a phenomenal job in the classroom and in the community. We will be at full strength by the end of next week.”

.

2 Comments

  1. Dutchess Observer

    January 8, 2017 at 2:32 pm

    It was well known that Beacon had a transfer from Kennedy Catholic who was returning to his home district. How did this happen? Regardless, kudos to Beacon admin for self reporting, I wonder how this makes Lourdes admin and coaches feel!!!! I cannot wait for the bottom to fall out on their illegal recruiting.

  2. Warrior

    January 9, 2017 at 10:36 am

    Dutchess Obsever,

    I’m sure the people at Lourdes feel just fine.
    Can you point out one case of Lourdes breaking any rules regarding the use of an ineligible player in any sport. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *