Hudson Valley Sports Report
Don't Miss


Marist Men’s Lacrosse Wins MAAC Title; Watch Party On Deck

POUGHKEEPSIE – In front of a boisterous home crowd at Tenney Stadium, the Marist College men’s lacrosse team clinched a berth in the NCAA Tournament with a thrilling 15-14 victory over Quinnipiac on Saturday in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference championship game.

The championship is the third for the Red Foxes in program history.

The Foxes will learn their NCAA opponent and destination on Sunday night during the selection show, which will occur at 9 p.m. and will be televised on ESPNU.

The school will also host a watch party starting at 9 p.m. in the Cabaret on campus. Admission is free to attend the watch party.

A total of 17 teams make the NCAA tournament. The selection committee determines seeding and tournament teams based on a variety of components including strength of schedule, RPI, and head-to-head competition.

The game was tight throughout.

Quinnipiac scored three straight goals in a span of 2:19 to jump out to a 4-1 lead. Marist freshman Jamison Embury scored his second goal of the first quarter with eight seconds remaining and Marist trailed 6-4 after the first 15 minutes.

The game was tight throughout. There were no goals scored in the first 5:24 of the second quarter until a tally by Quinnipiac’s Foster Cuomo.

Marist responded by scoring four of the game’s next five goals. Embury’s third of the contest enabled the Red Foxes to tie the game for the first time at 8-8 with 1:03 left in the second quarter. That remained the score after the first 30 minutes.

Embury’s fourth goal – the first scored by either team in the second half – gave Marist its first lead at the 10:50 mark of the third quarter. However, Quinnipiac answered 20 seconds later with a goal by Kevin Blank, which tied the score at 9-9.

Junior Joe Tierney then scored twice in 52 seconds, which gave the Red Foxes their first two-goal lead of the game.

Quinnipiac responded with back-to-back goals, but Jojo Pirreca and Hunter Embury scored back-to-back for Marist and the Red Foxes led 13-11 after three quarters.

Jake Weinman scored Marist’s third straight goal at the 12:24 mark of the fourth, which gave the Red Foxes their largest lead at 14-11.

Cuomo scored back-to-back goals for the Bobcats in a span of 90 seconds, which cut Marist’s advantage to 14-13 with 7:53 remaining.

After 5:19 of scoreless action, Pirreca gave Marist a 15-13 lead. But Jake Tomsik countered for Quinnipiac 10 seconds later.

Quinnipiac had another chance with under 30 seconds to play, but Tyler Mackay’s shot hit the post. Tyler Ammirato recovered the ground ball, and the Red Foxes ran the clock down to five second before Quinnipiac re-gained possession. The Bobcats were unable to get off a shot as time expired.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *